Friday, July 22, 2011

"He Can Open Her Heart"



It's a joy to be an instrument
in the life of another~
I know He can open her heart…

God gave me a gift shortly after I met Rosa at the local grocery a few weeks ago. We met in the sardine, tuna, and other quick meat aisle. I was standing next to her when I noticed her shoes. Or better yet, the broken flip flops that only provided a small space of cushioning between the soles of her feet and the floor. As I observed her homeless situation it was another one of God's divine connections.

I asked her what her favorite brand of tuna might be or did she prefer sardines. I mentioned I was not really up to speed on the best brands but was considering making a tuna salad. She looked at me and smiled with her reply. Then she stated that although she did prefer a specific brand of each, because she was without a way to successfully open the container she usually purchased a brand that came with a pull tab.

I glanced at the items she had placed in her cart. She had methodically gathered a cart full of convenient coupon attached items of which most were on sale or from the discounted display. It was obvious that her preference for having food was more important that spending money on a way to get to the better tasting, comparable in price foods.

A few minutes passed and I asked where she was from. And after hesitating for just a moment,and not wanting to embarass her, I added "around here?" She smiled knowingly and confirmed that yes she was local. I mentioned that if I would have known I would have already put the extra kitchen ware which included a can opener, in my car. For I had planned to take this to the Goodwill. She could have it. Not missing a beat, she stated that she could wait here or meet me next week if I would bring it to her. Told her I had some errands in the store and I would chat with her soon.

Now, I know what an everyday kind of missionary is. For in the very next aisle were the handy dandy devices that make our lives easy. And moments later Rosa was the proud owner of her very own can opener. It really wasn’t much of a gift but to her it seemed to mean the difference in everything – what she had for her meals and moreso, what she no longer had to settle for…one less compromise. To me it was a gift as well. For it was in giving a simple gift of comfort that I received the same in return.

She saw that I had signed the receipt with a personal blessing and then when I mentioned that the head cashier was aware it was prepaid, we exchanged a quick smile. I wished her well. Then she smiled as she thanked me by offering to take me to lunch. We both innocently laughed a little at that comment, although it was sincere. As she happily shared the answer to my original question of which brand tuna she really did prefer, the divine connection was obvious to me by our abilities to help the other. Rosa provided me with the answer to my question and I was able to assit with the answer to her quest. Everyone needs to be considered as significant and sometimes the unfamiliar is on purpose.

It is like this in my walk with the Lord. Sometimes He places me in areas I am not familiar and introduces me to people that most folks may just pass by. I get a kick out of His timing. Today Rosa and I both were blessed. I am the one who was blessed by listening to His guidance in sharing with her. He showed me a clever cute way to remember this experience- I pray that Rosa knows the Lord for He ‘can open her’ heart to His unconditional love and acceptance for her.

In thinking back on this experience, I know the Holy Spirit led me to meet Rosa and to learn from this time invested in the life of another. It reminds me of another time when He used sincere simplicity to meet the needs of others...a small child, a couple loaves of bread,and few small fish. These fish just happen to be in a pull top can ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment